Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2014

No Respect! (Another Rant)

   As I observe society and its (mostly younger) people, I can't help but be appalled by the lack of respect towards others and towards themselves. The younger folk (preteens to early 20s) seem to have lost- or not been properly taught- respect. They walk around on their high pedestal, thinking they are so cool when in actuality, they are not. Preteens and teenagers, especially, need to get their heads out of the clouds (and out of their butts) and learn some good old fashioned respect! 
   When I hear the way some kids talk to elders- whom they should treat with civility-, I cringe because if I said the things they said or in the way they said it, I would get backhanded by my mom or dad before I could even close my mouth. I am in shock and disbelief when I hear kids talk to their parents with no regard for manners. And the parents are partly to blame because they never disciplined their children, but they need to be taught a lesson. Sometimes the parents even complain about their rowdy kids, but hello! it's your fault for not properly teaching them manners. It starts at a young age. And I hate the kids (and parents not doing a good job) putting on airs without politeness.
   I have two specific personal examples about a couple kids that could use a good spanking. The first was this past summer when I took a class trip overseas. One girl, "Brianna," went with her mother, and the attitude the girl had was absolutely shocking! She made snappy comments, complained literally all day, and blamed her mom for everything that didn't go in her favor. Eventually, I lost it and snapped a comment right back at her when she was disrespecting her mother (Brianna was complaining about how she was tired of taking pictures). Another time was also during summer vacation when I went to Newport Beach with my cousins. We were walking on the boardwalk, and a group of about 5 preteens was walking towards us. And rather than politely say "excuse me" to get past us, one boy yelled "Beep beep!" and shoved through. I turned around and yelled, "It's called saying excuse me!" (My brother and older cousins wanted to go back and give them a good whupping; shame they're older than 18.) Do kids not know the meaning of the words "manners", "respect", and "politeness"? How do they have the nerve, the GALL to be that disrespectful? Have they no shame? Do they really think they're hot stuff? That they can walk around with their "swagger" and do whatever, say whatever they want? NEWSFLASH! They're not! And I really want to just slap some sense into them because it's infuriating.    I continue on by contradicting myself: I do have to admit though that most people in my class and older are actually decent people. While sometimes they lack intelligence, it seems that they have enough respect (for the most part) to not have to worry about them. I do worry about the underclassmen though. (And I think the kids younger than them, like the middle schoolers, are just a lost cause.) Their heads are full of hot air and arrogance. I find it amusing, really, the manner in which they present themselves, how they so obviously think that they're the coolest people walking around campus. I also just want to shove them off their high horse and humble them. They don't realize that looking cool by lack manners just means looking like a classless idiot.
   If they lived in my house with my parents, they would be schooled so hard on what respect really is. Another thing that absolutely drives me crazy! is the "psychological studies" that say spanking children as punishment will lead to depression and stunted mental development. EXCUSE ME! Can we just back up for a minute? I think these prissy little kids will be just fine if they underwent a little disciplinary training. Hundreds of generations have been spanked as punishment, and they turned out just fine- maybe even better because they learned manners too. I know I'm fine. So I think the middle schoolers and elementary kids can handle it. A lot of parents are way too soft on their kids; and look what it leads to: a society almost past the point of no return. 
   I really hope that we can find a way to improve. Or that a required nation-wide discipline class was taught to kids. (If dogs can go to obedience school, so can humans.) I have my fingers crossed that society will improve itself, but the way things are going, I don't have that high of hopes. I don't look forward to the kids I'll have to deal with 15 years from now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment