Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Canterbury Tales (1)

We talked in class about the prologue before I actually read it about how Chaucer's characters contradict themselves. But I could only pick up on a few of those: the Cook, the Merchant, and the Monk. But the others, I didn't understand how they contradicted themselves.
It was also difficult to follow and understand; I think it's because the story has rhyming stanzas so I don't pay much attention to the actual content or try to read between the lines; but even when I try to analyze, I still don't fully understand. I know that a lot of different types of people have all gathered together to make their pilgrimage to Canterbury, and the first person to get there receives a free meal. But I also read at the end of the prologue, that whoever shares the best story shall be given a full meal for free also. What's up with that?
I would like to read more about the merchant's story- how he's in debt- and the Oxford student's story- why he's so Type A. I can't imagine them getting to Canterbury first. I don't like the Cook all that much; I doubt he'll make it to Canterbury first also.
I feel like Chaucer is too loquacious (?) but in a writing sense (what's the word for that? Too wordy?) But he makes it difficult to understand the plot because he puts in so much unnecessary information. Chaucer's character descriptions for some of his characters are too lengthy in my opinion. The pictures in the margins helped me gain a clearer picture of some of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment