Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Vocabulary #1

Vocabulary list #1

  • adumbrate - report or represent in outline.
  • apotheosis - the highest point in the development of something; culmination or climax.
  • ascetic - characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all forms of indulgence, typically for religious reasons.
  • bauble - a small, showy trinket or decoration.
  • beguile - charm or enchant (someone), sometimes in a deceptive way.
  • burgeon - begin to grow or increase rapidly; flourish.
  • complement - a thing that completes or brings to perfection.
  • contumacious - (especially of a defendant's behavior) stubbornly or willfully disobedient to authority
  • curmudgeon - a bad-tempered or surly person.
  • didactic - intended to teach, particularly in having moral instruction as an ulterior motive.
  • disingenuous - not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
  • exculpate - show or declare that (someone) is not guilty of wrongdoing.
  • faux pas - an embarrassing or tactless act or remark in a social situation.
  • fulminate - to utter or send out with denunciation
  • fustian - thick, durable twilled cloth with a short nap, usually dyed in dark colors; pompous or pretentious speech or writing.
  • hauteur - haughtiness of manner; disdainful pride
  • inhibit - hinder, restrain, or prevent (an action or process).
  • jeremiad - a long, mournful complaint or lamentation; a list of woes.
  • opportunist - a person who exploits circumstances to gain immediate advantage rather than being guided by consistent principles or plans.
  • unconscionable- not right or reasonable.

   The syllabus is meant to adumbrate the course and rules/ procedures. Most students follow the outline, however some contumacious students decide to disregard it and break the rules. These unruly kids try to inhibit other students', learning experience by disrupting class, which is unconscionable and unfair. 
   In Bill Watterson's comic series "Calvin and Hobbes," Hobbes is beguiled by Susie's feminine charm. Although Calvin just turns into a curmudgeon because he hates girls, thinking they always ruin the fun by bringing their cooties. His hauteur and arrogance makes Susie dislike him. In class, the teacher's didactic lessons have no effect on Calvin. Susie, the opportunist, always studies and raises her hands to answer questions in class. 
   "I met this guy named Jeff at an art gallery, and I was instantly beguiled by his charm and his deep blue eyes. We went out to dinner that same night and shared a dessert: warm apple pie complemented by vanilla bean ice cream. However, during out date I accidentally committed a faux pas by calling him Josh instead of Jeff! Jeff tried to exculpate my blunder, saying it was just a mistake, which was kind of him. I wasn't disingenuous in my apology; I was truly sorry for my indiscretion, and he accepted my apology with grace."
   I don't want to listen to someone's silly, insignificant jeremiad about how their coffee was cold when I just got laid off from my job! I was reaching the apotheosis of my career in journalism. I was burgeoning in success and flourishing, just about to publish my first cover story and byline. I fulminated against my (former) boss's decision, hoping to change his mind, to no avail. Now those arrogant columnists who write fustian to match their personalities will take over the paper. Hopefully the ascetic, stern boss will keep their writing in check. Now I have to clear my desk of all my baubles and knick-knacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment