Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Vocabulary #5

Vocabulary list #5:

  • capricious- given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior
  • loquacious- tending to talk a great deal
  • ephemeral- lasting a very short time
  • schism- division between people, usu. belonging to organization or religious group
  • eschew- deliberately avoid using; abstain from
  • inchoate- just begun and so not fully formed or developed
  • perspicacious- having a ready insight into and understanding of things
  • mungo- cloth made from recycled material
  • sesquipedalian- polysyllabic, long words
  • harangue- lengthy and aggressive speech
  • garrulous- excessively talky, esp. on trivial matters
  • ebullient- cheerful, full of energy
  • codswallop- nonsense
  • diphthong- process of moving from one vowel sound to another
  • wonky- crooked, off center, askew
  • juxtapose- to place close together or side by side for comparison
  • interdependence- mutually reliant on each other
  • plethora- large or excessive amount of
  • ricochet- shot or hit that rebounds off a surface
  • shenanigans- secret activities, mischief 
My mom always asks me what shenanigans I'll be up to whenever I go out with friends because we have some crazy adventures. And while I make sure we're safe and don't get into a plethora of trouble, my mother feels the need to talk to me about safety every time I come home from spending a night out. She lectures me garrulously  for at least 30 minutes when I've heard it all before. I wish she wasn't so loquacious and talkative. My dad's talks, on the other hand, are short and ephemeral, thank goodness. There's always such juxtaposition when they talk to me together.
I just hung up a picture frame and stood back with a friend to check if it was straight. I said it was crooked, but my friend said, "That's codswallop, in my opinion. It looks straight and not the least bit wonky to me." He's British. He's also capricious and prone to mood swings. One minute he's ebullient and lively, the next he's disturbed and agitated. Only his mom has the perspicacity  to foresee when his mood is about to shift.
Around the middle of the 1900s, Martin Luther King Jr. fought for equality and rid American of the schism between white and black people. He told his followers to eschew from violence and protest peacefully instead. He made his famous "I have a dream" harangue in 1963 in front of thousands of people. He call for the end to racism, that society needs interdependence and mutualism to survive. Martin Luther King Jr. took the first steps toward an equal society, inchoate having just emerged but equal nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment