Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Green Eggs & Hamlet

a) I know that Hamlet has a lover named Ophelia. One of them drowns and dies. (Side note: I just got that ↑ pun; *facepalm*)
b) Shakespeare is one of the most famous, classic writers in literary history. He was from England, or somewhere in the UK. He wrote in iambic pentameter, which is a pain to read. He wrote tragedies and comedies, used many puns throughout his plays. His most famous play is "Romeo and Juliet."
c) Most students frown at Shakespeare because his work is so hard to read and understand. It's so vague; the readers have to spend so much time analyzing and picking apart each line to understand what he's saying. And his plays are depressing and sad. And frustrating. "Romeo and Juliet" was frustrating to read because their plan was flawed and stupid. "Julius Caesar" was depressing because he was literally stabbed in the back by his fellow Senate members. I actually don't really appreciate Shakespeare's work. Maybe I'm just reading the wrong plays, but I don't like the couple that I've read. I should try reading "Twelfth Night"; I think I'd like that one.
d) I think making the reading more interactive would be fun. I also think that somehow translating Shakespeare's Old English into a more common vernacular; that would make reading "Hamlet" a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment