Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

I Am Human, Really (?)

   It has come to my attention that I have been rejected under the pretense that I am not fully human. I would like to point out that this is false; I am in fact completely and 100% human. I have a human father and human mother who carried me inside her stomach for 9 months, or 8 (I came a bit early due to the fact that my mother was trying to move a couch by herself). You may take DNA samples, body scans, use metal/ technology detectors. But you will find no evidence that points to my being a partial robot. As someone who has a slight fear of robots herself (and the minute paranoia that they will find a way to take over the earth), I would not be part robot and apply for this scholarship. If I was, I would just be afraid of myself and defying the purpose of writing this essay.

   If you still don't believe that I'm full human, for which I wouldn't blame you because my argument so far is not the most compelling, I give you access to all my previous essays, blog posts, homework assignments, etc. to prove my validity and authenticity. My essays prove my true human self because, to be perfectly honest, they are not excellent work. In my opinion, they are good essays, decent essays, but not beautifully crafted and perfectly written papers with exquisite diction and professional level syntax. If I had a piece of technology embedded inside me, my essays would be much better, having an unlimited access to more complex words from a built in dictionary or system to construct words into flawless paragraphs. My blog posts convey my thoughts, my emotions, my personality, my creative side, all of which a half human-half robot would not have. It might have some because yes, it has a human side, but not to my degree. My homework is like my essays: not always my best. They reflect my flaws and (slightly?) above average intelligence, my sometimes obvious procrastination and laziness, my omnipresent mistakes. I prove myself through my imperfections, of which I have many. If I was a robot, there would be far fewer, if any at all.
   I would also like to share with you my art work. I love to paint, and my pieces reflect my emotions during the time they were painted. I have an eclectic gallery. Some are complete originals, some are replicas, some are inspired. But my art shows you how truly human I am. Part robot could not do what I have done. My meticulousness, passion, style, my distinct precision (because I am a [selective] perfectionist) are all 100% me, 100% human. Each brush stroke is unique and different, like snowflakes; each piece tells a separate story, holds a different emotion.
   Robots do everything in a neat, perfect manner. They never deviate from what they have been programmed to do because they can't. They are designed for perfect functionality and perfect perfection. I would like to stress that, as a human, I am anything but. As much as we humans strive for it, there will never be any such thing for us naturally. All things tend towards chaos. Let me take this time to point out my imperfections (of which I have many): I have contacts, I've had braces and I am currently wearing my nightly retainer to keep my teeth from shifting back to crookedness, my sense of smell eludes me (which is both a blessing and a curse). I am also an introvert; I like to stay inside by myself. I don't like crowds or loud music. I don't socialize well with new people. And all of the above wouldn't matter to a robot because it has some algorithm to work past those problems. But I am beautifully, wonderfully flawed and awkward and weird.
   My emotions and personality also are definitively human. I am impatient, sensitive, imaginative, lazy, incredibly sassy and sarcastic. I cry during sad movies. One movie that always gets me is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 because everybody dies in that one! It's terrible! But I have a sense of humor, make people laugh, think of terrible puns. Robots are incapable of cleverness and sarcasm or sadness and depression. They take everything literally; they don't react to the world around them because they don't have emotions! But I do, and they are very much real and all over the place, like a real person.
   I hope I have convinced you that I am in fact completely human. If you are conducting interviews, I can better show you my authenticity as a real person with no robot parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment