Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Do It While I Still Can

   For a while now, I've been interested in fashion: fashion styling, designing, merchandising. And I always thought it would be so much fun to make a career out of it. However, I like to call myself a realist, and I know how extremely difficult it is to become successful in the fashion industry. So my other plan is to be a veterinarian, hopefully work overseas, make my way into rehabilitation, endangered animals. And I thought that my Big Project could revolve around fashion because I predict that this will be the last time in a long time that I can do something like this.
   I don't remember when I first immersed myself in the fashion world or when my interest started growing rapidly. It just did, I guess. I love going through my wardrobe trying to mix and match different pieces together to discover new outfits, or going online to different blogs or Youtube to find inspiration and a new perspective. Fashion and clothes offer an outlet, a way to express yourself. Your styles change with your mood, change as you grow up, as you mature. You find your way in the world, and you find your way through your clothes, finding what works for you and what doesn't. I love expressing my personality through my girly/casual/still chic sense of style. I always make it a point to look and dress my best. I find it hard to explain but: your clothes and the way you dress make such an impact on yourself and the others around you with whom you interact or merely see. Your outward appearance does make a big difference. Looking your best or dressing nicely sends the message that you care about yourself, that you want to excel; it says so much.
   Different styles. You can tell a lot about a person based on the way s/he dresses. I love that there are so many different styles in the world: sporty, chic, girly, casual, preppy, boho, edgy. And you can mix these different styles in any way you want! Based on your personality, you can express yourself how ever you want through your clothes. I personally like chic/girly while I don't like sporty/punk rock. It just depends on the person. And I appreciate how everyone can find what they want based on their likes and preferences. Democracy FTW! 
   And while it can be fun, it can also be expensive. So to put all this in perspective and in context of the Big Picture project, I would like to put on a mini fashion show with clothes mostly from the thrift store and/or Goodwill to show that fashion can be fun and affordable. I asked some of my friends, and they volunteered as the models. So I could dress up different body types, styles, articles of clothing, etc. 
   It would be nice to have an actual runway to use or something even remotely close. So instead I thought I could use the Greek theatre or gymnasium as my stage. I haven't thought much about decorations or aesthetics yet as this project is still in the early stages or first trimester. The idea seed has been planted and is ready to grow into a full unborn baby of a project. The thrift store is fairly cheap so money isn't really an issue. I predict that finding correct sizes of the right article of clothing for the right person will prove challenging. It'll be like finding a needle in a haystack. But I accept the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment